Learn about Complex Rehab Technology
One of the biggest challenges in protecting and promoting access to Complex Rehab Technology (CRT) is a lack of understanding as to the people, products, and processes involved. To help tell the CRT story, a variety of educational documents, studies, and presentations have been developed.
CRT Information and Advocacy Tools
- About NCART- A one-page document introducing our organization.
- Definition of CRT- A two-page document detailing the products, people, processes, and professionals involved in Complex Rehab Technology.
- Tools to Tell the CRT Story- Suggestions and Resources to use to increase CRT awareness and understanding.
- CRT Facts and Figures- Key CRT message points.
- CRT Company Overview- A review of the products, people, processes, and costs involved in providing CRT. Includes “delivery process” and “business costs” exhibits.
- CRT Company Financial Profile- A graphic presentation of the cost categories of a CRT supplier.
- CRT Delivery Process- 18 primary activities involved in the “delivery” process for CRT.
- CRT Order Workflow- 31 tasks and other “activities” involved in the provision of CRT.
- "COMPLEX" by Mark Sullivan- This 63-page booklet provides in-depth narrative and photos profiling people that use CRT, its benefits, and how it is provided. Preview the booklet or order hard copies from NRRTS.
- Simon Business School Financial Study (2008)- Independent study of the financial performance and activity cost allocations of CRT companies done by the University of Rochester.
- CRT Mobility Comparison- Complex Wheelchairs versus Standard Wheelchairs
- CRT Accessory Comparison- A one-page illustration comparing standard wheelchair accessories to accessories used with Complex Rehab Technology.
- CRT HCPCS Included in Federal Legislation- A list of all the billing codes related to CRT that are included in our Separate Benefit legislation.
- Medicaid Managed Care Organization Obligations- This document details the obligations that Managed Care Organizations have when they are contracting with a state's Medicaid program.
Separate Benefit Category (SBC)
- CRT Legislation Information Pack- Use this collection of useful information regarding our legislation when speaking to offices about supporting a Separate Benefit for CRT.
- CRT Legislative Text- The full text of H.R. 750 as introduced to the House.
- Separate Benefit Category Position Paper- Two pages outlining the need for a separate benefit category for CRT.
- Separate Benefit Category Proposal- A 37-page document outlining the background, basis, and details of the SBC project.
- CCD Complex Rehab Technology Support Letter- A letter of support written by members of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities.
State Separate Recognition-
- State Position Paper- Two pages tailored to Medicaid programs regarding Separate Recognition of CRT on the state level.
- State Outline- A template that can be used as a starting point to develop a State SBC proposal.
- State Legislation Template- A copy of draft legislation used in other states adopting a separate benefit for CRT items and services.
- Hosting a Visit at Your Business- Read through this quick guide for talking points and suggestions on how to have a successful site visit with your local and state legislators.
- Problems with Cost-Plus Reimbursement- Position paper detailing the issues and dangers involved in cost-plus pricing methodology and giving suggestions for alternate reimbursement methods.
- CRT Consumer Stories-
- Standing Device Benefits Letters- A compilation of letters from physicians and other medical professionals attesting to health and other benefits provided by standing devices.
- NCART Standing Device Funding Guide- Information and an Evaluation Worksheet to assist with documentation and funding.
- Medicare K0009 Manual Wheelchair Information- Information and analysis provided to CMS as part of their review of these complex rehab technology wheelchairs.
- NCART 2016 Medicaid Survey- The questions in this survey relate to the coverage and payment policies for CRT within state Medicaid programs.
Clinical Articles and Guides
- Clinical Application Guide to Seating Measures
- University of Buffalo Wheeled Mobility Study
- Glossary of Wheelchair Terms and Definitions
- One Degree of Separation: Paralysis and Spinal Cord Injury in the United States
- RESNA Position on Application of Tilt, Recline, and ELR
- Systematic Review of Pros and Cons of Using Power Assist- Klooserman 2013